week one

Week One Blog

Topic 1:

1. What prompted you to enroll in this course?
 I am interested in pursuing marketing as my major and as a career. I thought taking this course would give me some insight as to if I would enjoy this path or not.
2. Are you a business or marketing major?
No, I was previously a physics major but have recently discovered that I do not enjoy chemistry. I have also  had a lot of interest in marketing (as stated above), so I am considering changing my major to marketing.
3. What are you most interested in learning about marketing?
I think I'm most interested in learning about how to target certain groups of people, and also would like to learn more about focus groups and how they work. I find color usage very interesting as well, learning on how to choose what colors and why would be fascinating.
4. what are you passionate about outside of college?
I am very passionate about riding horses. I have two and go to the barn almost every day.


Topic 2:
Marketing in the news

I chose an article about Netflix because they have become so mainstream, and have put so much effort into creating their own movies and TV shows such as "Stranger Things". In this article they discuss how Netflix will be increasing their marketing budget from 2017's $1.28 billion to $2 billion. The chief executor is also quoted talking about how ideally he would like to see the marketing budget at zero because they can rely on word of mouth. I think this is every companies ideal marketing budget. With Netflix spending $8 billion on shows and movies that people can only watch on their own service, perhaps its not outrageous to think they're on their way to at least having to spend less in marketing and promoting. There was some concern about Disney pulling all of their content and creating their own streaming network. Netflix doesn't seem to think it will effect them too much. Seeing how Netflix does offer so much, it makes sense that they wouldn't be too worried. Even if you just look at children's movies, although Disney has its own special appeal, Netflix offers a larger selection. Especially when you take into consideration of the $8 billion in new content they added.
Although Netflix is incredibly mainstream, I think it was a smart move to increase their marketing at this moment. They are expanding from the previous notion that they are a streaming service for old movies, to a streaming service for new and exclusive content. I think it would be foolish to pull back on marketing right now.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/23/netflix-2018-marketing-budget-to-hit-2-billion.html

Comments

Popular Posts